Cranes at the harbour in Hamburg. Photo: DPA
The German economy grew 2.2 percent in 2017, enjoying its fastest rate of expansion since 2011, official data for Europe's top economy showed on Thursday.
The expansion, which was in line with forecasts from leading economic think-tanks and the OECD, was driven by big increases in the rate of growth in investments and exports, officials from statistics authority Destatis said at a Berlin press conference.
Meanwhile, expansion in private and government consumption slowed compared with 2016.
READ ALSO: Germans among world's happiest people about economic situation
Growth was also almost one percentage point higher than the 1.3-percent average recorded over the past 10 years.
And Germany notched up a record government budget surplus of 1.2 percent of GDP, Destatis said.
It was "a strong performance by an economy firing on all cylinders," commented ING Diba bank economist Carsten Brzeski.
"The same fundamentals which have supported growth in 2016 and 2017 should still be in place in 2018," he added.
Strong growth and bulging state coffers have stoked demands from politicians and unions to put some of the country's wealth to work, whether by offering voters tax cuts, boosting public spending and investment, or increasing wages.
Thursday's growth data come on the same day that Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservatives enter a final round of talks with the centre-left Social Democrats to explore renewing their left-right "grand coalition".
And the figures follow on the heels of days of strikes by powerful metalworkers' union IG Metall, which is pushing for a big salary increase and the option of working a 28-hour week.
SEE ALSO: These are the German regions where the economy is really booming
- Newgen Software IPO progresses slowly, subscribed 5%
- Sisters steal baby boy to stop father from remarrying
- Quality Health is trending at 10 in India
- iVOOMi i1 Sale is trending at 9 in India
- #PravinTogadia is trending at 8 in India
- Colin de Grandhomme is trending at 7 in India
- ICC Code of Conduct is trending at 6 in India
- #BreatheTrailer is trending at 5 in India
- #tphoneP is trending at 4 in India
- #PatanjaliOnline is trending at 3 in India
- #HappyBirthdaySidharthMalhotra is trending at 2 in India
- Barmer is trending at 1 in India
- Extremely rare 'firework' jelly fish spotted near Mexico
- Beautiful snow sculptures from around the world
- World's fifth largest diamond discovered in Lesotho
- Museums of unusual things around the world
- Chinese 'rainbow dinosaur' had iridescent feathers
- These are the most talented dogs on the internet
- Enjoying the high life, up on the roof in Tel Aviv
- Le smartphone? France has another term in mind